At St John's we use a synthetic phonics programme called ‘Read Write Inc.’ produced by Ruth Miskin. Read Write Inc. is a method centred round letter sounds and phonics, blending them together to read and write words and using these learnt sounds in their reading and writing.
In EYFS and KS1 children will follow a daily phonic programme to create fluent, enthusiastic readers, confident speakers and willing writers.
Using Read Write Inc., the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into composing what they write.
Phonics Screening Test
The phonics screening test is a quick and easy test to check your child’s phonic knowledge.
It is a legal requirement that all children in Year 1 take the test. If your child does not pass then they will retake at the end of Year 2.
- The test will take place in June 2017.
- Your child will sit with a teacher and will be asked to read 40 words aloud, a mixture of real and nonsense words.
- The check normally takes 10 minutes, however there is no time limit. If your child is struggling then the teacher will stop the check. The check is carefully designed not to be stressful to your child.
- Your child’s progress is carefully tracked in school by the Reading Leaders.
How you can help your child at home:
- Practice the sounds that your child brings home.
- Practice reading a selection of real and nonsense words.
- Encourage your child to sound out each word in turn, ‘Fred talk’ e.g c-a-t, c-oa-t, z-igh.
- Please ask if you need any further support.
On the Ruth Miskin website (www.ruthmiskin.com) you can find further information and guidance under the parents tab.
We will be holding workshops in school for you to find out more information on Tuesday 31 January - at 8.45am and 2.45pm on the lower site in the school hall. Coffee and refreshments will be available.